Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Grilling Italian on a hot summer evening

When I was in Italy last year, I decided to do some shopping. You must think I am crazy, but I did not buy shoes in Milan.Instead I bought rosemary and tomato paste and of course a bottle of Chianti.:) I still use my rosemary and its potent with flavor even after a year.

I love baking potatoes instead of frying them as french fries. I also enjoyed a vegetable skewer at a nearby restaurant and got the basic recipe from them. I used it with my vegetables and salmon steak this week and it was AWWWWESOME! The salmon was well seasoned and juicy and the potatoes were crunchy on the outside and well cooked inside. So it was a well rounded dinner with rosemary baked potatoes, grilled salmon steaks and vegetable skewers.
Ingredients
For the potatoes:
4 red potatoes
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
Italian Marinade:
1/2 cup Italian dressing
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/3 cup olive oil
Vegetable skewers and salmon:
1 yellow pepper
5-6 broccoli flowerets
1 tomato
1/2 onion
3 salmon steaks
  • Soak two or three bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven at 450 F.
  • Wash the potatoes and cube them with their skin on.
  • Add salt, pepper , olive oil and rosemary to the potatoes and coat them.
  • Put the potatoes in an oven proof dish and bake for 40 minutes.
  • Cut the vegetables to medium size.
  • Mix the ingredients for the marinade.
  • Coat the vegetables and the salmon with the marinade in separate bowls for 15 minutes.
  • Skewer the vegetable on the bamboo skewers.
  • Grill until vegetables are cooked.
  • Wrap the salmon steaks in aluminum foil and grill it for 10 minutes on each side.

This might not be a traditional Italian dinner or an American one, but this is what might be called fusion cuisine. Hey , who knows you might open a fusion restaurant someday and sell this as eclectic food.Keep following and you will soon see some Indian food here when I have some time to cook on the long weekend.

0 have added some spice: